|As well as baking cakes, we also painted a gnome|
Ginger and pineapple upside down cake
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 5.
- Melt 20g vegan margarine in a pan and add 4 tbsp syrup.
- Heat over a high heat until thickened.
- Pour into a greased baking tray and level out.
- Next add a layer of 2 grated pieces of stem ginger and 150g tinned pineapple, chopped.
- In a separate bowl, mix 250g self-raising flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 115g sugar.
- Blend soya milk, oil, 300g tinned pineapple and banana until almost smooth.
- Add blended mixture to flour mixture, mix thoroughly and cover pineapple, ginger and syrup in tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until skewer/sharp knife comes out clean.
- Leave to cool, then place serving plate over tin and turn upside down. (The syrup should be on top of the cake.)
- Serve hot or cold with custard or soya cream.
|Ginger and pineapple goodness|
Chestnut and chocolate mousse
- Heat 75g of sugar in a pan with a few tbsp water and bring to boil.
- Simmer until the caramel becomes runnier, then pour over the bottom of a greased oven dish.
- Mix together 420g unsweetened chestnut purée and 175g sugar in a pan.
- Add 350ml soya milk a bit at a time.
- Whisk over a moderate heat until mixture comes to the boil; simmer until it thickens slightly.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then whisk in 200g broken pieces of dark chocolate until they melt.
- Pour mixture over caramel and leave in fridge for 6 hours or more.
Apricot and brazil nut flapjack
Preheat the oven to 160°C/Gas Mark 3.
Over a low heat, melt 175g dairy free margarine in a pan with 150g sugar and 2 tbsp golden syrup.
Add 100g dried apricots (cut into pieces) and brazil nuts, 125g muesli and 125g oats and mix thoroughly.
Spread the mixture into a greased baking tin.
Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Leave to cool for 15 minutes.
Cut into squares and leave to cool completely, or enjoy warm.
Recipe source: 'Beyond Baked Beans Green' by Fiona Beckett
(This is a great vegetarian cook book with little 'v's for all the vegan recipes, as well as estimates for how long each recipe will take.)