Friday 24 June 2011

Emma considers life, the universe and cake

Hello there and welcome to my blog. My name's Emma and I'd like to share with you my news. Last September, two very important things happened in my life and, super organised as ever, I immediately set up a blog to write about them.

Firstly, I moved up north to Leeds to start university. Secondly, as a consequence of this, I stopped eating eggs and dairy products. I'd already been vegetarian for about five years, but my Mum wasn't overly keen on the idea of a vegan daughter. (I mean, what do these vegans eat, apart from lettuce leaves?) So, upon achieving independence, far away from the confines of parental boundaries, I took my chance for rebellion.

"Where does cake fit into all of this?", you might ask. Well, I once heard someone say that vegans tend to get more excited about cake than "normal" people. In my experience, this has turned out to be true. The vast majority of cake that people buy and bake isn't vegan, so perhaps, at first, the new vegan begins to prepare themself to exchange cake for ethics (which are considerably less edible). The discovery that instead, we can simply exchange butter for vegetable spread, eggs for banana/vegetable oil/flaxseed/etc. and cows for soya/oats/rice/almonds/quinoa/etc. certainly contributes to the aforementioned overexcitement. In short, we can have our cake, and eat it too!

But then again, who doesn't find cake exciting? I sure always have!

Mini-Emma, aged 2, bakes a cake with her Mummy


Stay tuned as I begin my photo journal of my cake baking adventures over the next few weeks.

Love xxxx

3 comments:

  1. AWWWW!! That pic of you and your mum!!!

    What happened to your cuteness?! :P (joke)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right. Since that day my cuteness level has just sky rocketed. :P (also joke)

    ReplyDelete