|Chocolate, banana and beetroot brownie|
So I got home this evening and was greeted by the most wonderful smell coming from the kitchen... Anna had been baking beetroot brownies! She made half of them with egg and butter, and the other half with banana and soya spread. And guess what... Both Anna and Egle agreed that the vegan brownies tasted better! Apparently the banana gives a better texture. Anyhoo, here is the recipe, so you too can make these fabulous cakes...
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Peel and chop 400g of beetroots (not the kind in vinegar).
- Put the beets in a bowl with a dash of water, cover with pierced cling film and heat in the microwave for 12 minutes on full power (don't use non-PVC cling film or it'll melt).
- Drain the beets and add 200g of dark chocolate and 100g of soya spread. The heat from the beets will melt the chocolate; blend until smooth.
- Mash up 2 bananas in a bowl with 250g of sugar until the mixture is the consistency of thick cream.
- Add the banana and sugar to the beet mix with 1 tsp of vanilla essence.
- Mix in 100g of plain flour and 25g of cocoa powder.
- Pour mixture into pre-greased tray and bake for 25 minutes.
- Leave to cool, then slice and serve.
- Bask in the warm, sunshiney praise of your friends and family, with the sweet taste of chocolate brownie in your mouth.
Recipe source: Anna's Googling skills and her imagination