|Who knows how old Emma's Dad is...?|
When we got home from Matlock, we were greeted by the smell of freshly baked spiced apple cake. Yep, more cake! My Dad really should have more birthdays... Mum made the cake using a recipe from her vegan cook book so that I'd be able to eat it too. It tasted amazing, though, so no one could say that they missed out at all. Here's the recipe...
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Cream together 115g soya/vegetable spread and 115g sugar.
- Stir in 55g raisins, 55g sultanas and 55g chopped nuts (save a handful of chopped nuts for later, though).
- In a separate bowl, dissolve 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda in 3 tbs boiling water, then add to the first mixture.
- Mix in 200ml apple purée.
- Next add 225g plain flour, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp mixed spices.
- The dough should be heavy and moist; if not, add a drop of apple juice or other liquid.
- Spoon into a pre-greased baking tin and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Bake for around an hour.
Recipe source: The Caring Cook